Department of Customer Services

Food Truck Information and Resources

Running a food truck requires establishing it as a legitimate business. The resources below can assist in securing the required licenses and permits, and complying with regulations. Other considerations include the cost of purchasing and equipping a food truck, investing in a point-of-sale system, employee payroll, tax regulations, business insurance and advertising.

Department of Commerce and Consumer Affairs Business Action Center (BAC) offers one-stop assistance to businesses. View the Steps to starting a business webpage.

Food trucks must comply with food safety requirements. View the information at
Mobile Food Establishments: How Do I Start One? Contact the Department of Health Food Safety Branch for requirements.

A Hawai‘i General Excise Tax License is a necessary business requirement. Go to the State of Hawai‘i Department of Taxation General Excise Tax License website for information.

A City and County of Honolulu Peddler’s License is required to operate a food truck. Click the link for information and the application form. Contact the city’s Business License Office at (808) 768-9700 for assistance.

Driver’s license and vehicle registration. Every driver must be properly licensed to operate the vehicle. Depending on the type of vehicle, you may need a commercial driver’s license. The vehicle must have a current registration, safety inspection and must be insured.

There are restrictions on where to park your truck and parking time limits. The Traffic Code provides food truck parking regulations. Food trucks must comply with all laws relating to traffic and parking, including parking meters, parking meter zones and public places where peddling is prohibited.

Time limits and parking zones
Food trucks may park for the time limit set for the parking space as designated by official signs, or for three hours where there is no posted time limitation.

The Revised Ordinances of Honolulu, Chapter 29, Article 6 regulates where
peddling is not allowed, which includes the following areas.

  • In any public park or beach owned and operated by the city, except
    pursuant to a concession, permit or license issued by the city.
  • On public streets, alleys, sidewalks, malls, parks, beaches and other public places in Waikiki Special Design District.
  • In any school zone while school is in session, except for an authorized participant in a city-sponsored market program, or in a school-sponsored function.
Skip to content